Friday, April 22, 2011

Bush Wacking

Two days after the slab was poured, Ken and I spent our entire Saturday at the lot. (After hitting Old Navy at 7am for 60% off swimwear. He began measuring, cutting, and laying wood in preparation for some serious framing the following day. I decided to take care of this mess:

See that mass of vegetation next to the shed? There's actually a huge clump of bamboo back there, covered by Kudzu and other vines. And, there's more of the stuff growing around and up the oak tree. (This photo was taken back in February, before stuff had really started growing in the season...)


This is what it looked like on Saturday before I got down to business


Putting on my gloves (I would learn later on how necessary they really were). **Please note the poor decision to wear shorts and a short-sleeve shirt.


Tools for the day


The stuff was pretty easy to cut. If the gardening shears wouldn't do the job, I used the Sawzall.


The worst part was pulling it all out once it was cut down; everything seemed to have thorns on it. And, apparently when bamboo is cut all these little tiny wood fibers are released into the air. If they land on your shirt, no biggie. If they land on your skin, they all end up as tiny splinters that are nearly impossible to get out. I am still scratching these bamboo fibers out, 6 days later.


Dead bamboo is surprisingly easy to cut. When this piece was cut, a bunch of ants crawled out of the stalk.


I found a vine that started out at the bottom of the oak tree...


...and somehow made its way as far as it good to the top of the tree. It was a real bear to pull out.


Remember the short-sleeve shirt? Check out my bamboo gash. (You'll notice halfway through the day I end up wearing a long sleeve shirt. My allergies caused me to totally break out so at Ken's urging I went home, showered, and put on a new shirt at lunch time).


And those shorts?


 Luckily the finished product made the blood and sweat worth it. Check out that bamboo!


What else to do with this stuff then burn it? :)


We had no idea how much room was actually back there. Even though this area will eventually be behind the garage, it's still neat to have it cleared out. The bamboo clump is the perfect spot for orchids.


Ready to hit the dusty trail


I'll post a framing update soon. Happy Easter weekend everyone!



2 comments:

  1. Christine - We did have a very happy Easter weekend. Celeste was the hit of the party. I showed her your blog. She like it. We all had a great time and our backyard was full of flowers. I ate so much, I was full all week! I liked the picture of the stray cat...Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not surprised Aunt Celeste was the hit of the party, lol. Glad she enjoyed the blog. The flowers in your backyard looked beautiful- I saw both Amanda and Catherine's photos. Amanda also made a video, it was pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete