Monday, May 23, 2011

Garage sheeting

Yesterday we were rested up and ready to knock out some more work. (Well, I was ready. Because I certainly couldn't get in the groove Saturday...) So after having our usual Sunday morning Cuban coffee, we were ready to get down to business. We began hanging ply-wood, and we started with the garage:


Ken hung all the ply-wood, and I filled in the rest of the nails that needed to be placed. 

In order to hang the ply-wood on the bonus room walls, I had to climb up the ladder to crawl inside while Ken hoisted up the boards. This was my view from up there.

Going up the ladder was no biggie. But getting back down made my heart race a little. (Must I remind you how scared of heights I am? :) This step is by far the scariest! Worst part was even after shaking the ladder a bit back and forth to make sure it wouldn't budge I climbed on to it, moved down about two steps, and it slid on me! (a few inches, a foot, who knows...) I was still high enough to grab on to the 2x6 to catch myself, but my heart was pounding for a good minute and I was shaking even when I got down. Scared the beJesus out of me!

Ken was a master nailer, and he feared no heights nor the ladder.

There was a lot of nailing to do, so that's where I come in:


That nail gun became pretty heavy quickly, especially because of the awkward way of holding it. I'm still a little sore today!

I was not a very good nailer; I would make a lousy framer! As you can guess, those nails were supposed to end up in that 2x6 stud, and not on the outside of it :) I had to bang these nails out and go back and re-do them (a lot of them). It took me awhile to get the hang of it, and it was pretty frustrating. It was hard to determine the correct angle of shooting, since there was variation on every stud. I can't even imagine how many nails I wasted. Not to mention, there are a ton of holes in those boards now, where I had to remove the bad shoots.

This is also an example of "what not to do", lol. The place where two boards were nailed to the same stud was most difficult, because this is where angling the nails just right was important. Nails had to be placed about 4" apart on the seams, and every 8" on the studs. Sidenote: See the nail hole I was talking about? There are many more where that came from...

Here is an example of me getting the hang of it!

We had more visitors today- Wes and Sonya were nice enough to brave the heat and come out and see us. They were also sweet enough to bring this lemonade. Boy this stuff was good (and much needed in the 93° heat!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment