Sunday, May 15, 2011

New house colors & prep for trusses

A beach trip to St. Augustine inspired us to consider these new house colors:


I went to Sherwin Williams to pick it up, and boy was that a mistake. I brought two Behr color samples that I saw at Lowe's in hopes they would be able to match it. I was able to choose the coral color pretty easily, and then it came time to choose a green. I picked one out and told the paint guy the number. He had everything all set up, and I changed my mind to another. He very patiently inputted the new color into the computer. Then I changed my mind again. And he changed the order for the 3rd time. Then, I changed my mind back to the ORIGINAL paint color I first asked for! Two lessons: always go with your first choice, & don't ask me to pick out paint colors.



I arrived at the lot, opened the new paint color, and couldn't believe I bought what I thought was the color we already had. But when I compared them side-by-side, I noticed a little difference. (Luckily this "little" difference turned out to be a "big enough" difference once I re-painted the door.)


In-progress










New green, with both door colors side by side. The new color is on the left. 


Meanwhile, Ken worked on the front porch:



We burned some trash...


...and Nat cleaned up the weeds in the "backyard"


The following day, Ken and I did some prep-work for the trusses to be laid on Wednesday:
Ply-wood had to be placed at every corner for reinforcement


Garage



These hurricane straps had to be placed at all jacks. (Jacks hold up the header). Short story: ties it all to the concrete.


Completed version


This level has become my new best friend


A little trimming


Remember those bolts sticking out of the concrete? A washer and nut had to be placed on each one.


I was tasked with tightening the bolts. I put all my body weight into it, and I was sore in places two days later I didn't know could be sore.


This is what it looked like when I was finished. 


Final project of the day was moving the door leading to the patio about 6" to give more room in the dining room:
Before 


After









1 comment:

  1. Oh yah - that green does look like the color of our kitchen. It is a calming color.

    ReplyDelete